From the 6th until the 21st of August 2016, on the
island of Antikythera will be present the team who carries out the excavation
at the archaeological site of “Kastro”. A whole fortified city of 150 acres
dated from the 4th century until the 1st century BC is preserved there. The
fortification walls can be seen in all their length and in many places they are
9m high. The island was part of
the piracy activity network the Cretan cities had developed during the
Hellenistic period. The city was destroyed during the Roman-Cretan war, covered
by the Romans as a campaign “against piracy” in 69-67 BC. At the beginning of
this war a ship, carrying the worldwide known “Antikythera Mechanism” and many
important sculptures sank off the coast of the island. This shipwreck, found in 1900,
is today’s world renowned “Antikythera shipwreck”.
The excavation team invites the inhabitants and the
visitors of the island to visit the site during the works (7.00 o’clock in the
morning) for a tour around the site.
Especially on Wednesdays
(10th and 17th of August – St. Myron’s feast day), due to the arrival of
the ship “Vitsentzos Kornaros” from Crete a guided tour will be held at 10.30
in the morning.
Meeting point the
bay of Xeropotamos at 10.30.
As always the tour
is for free
View all news